Akonadi server won't start

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Aug 19 13:25:12 BST 2021

Ingo Klöcker - 19.08.21, 13:21:03 CEST:
> On Donnerstag, 19. August 2021 01:35:05 CEST David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 17 August 2021 20:26:00 BST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > WARNING: Switching the database will make Akonadi forget more or
> > > less
> > > everything. Make a backup before proceeding. If you have lots of
> > > filters configured, then export them before the switch. If you
> > > have mail stored in local folders, i.e. if you are not using IMAP
> > > exclusively, then you might also want to export those folders.
> > > Akonadi may not have written all local mail to local files so
> > > that some of those mails may only be stored in the database.
> >
> > I've already encountered the issue which you describe, i.e. that
> > after moving mails from IMAP into local folders, no file is created
> > in the directory for that folder. I've tried copying instead of
> > moving, but that doesn't work either (unlike in older KDE PIM
> > software).
>
> Did you try copying single emails? This has always worked for me.
> IIRC, then moving individual emails and copying multiple emails also
> worked. Only moving multiple emails with a single operation didn't
> result in files written to disk in some older version of KMail. Dan
> fixed this problem quite some time ago. All of my observations apply
> to maildir folders in my Local Folders.

Ah, that is interesting. I did not know that differentiation between
moving a single mail and multiple mails.

In my experience KMail eventually writes the mails after them being some
time in the cache. Unless for some reason it does not and you end up
with items without rid. I do not know exactly how long this time is, but
I am pretty sure that it is not configurable unless you change the source
code.

That written for example as I switched from MariaDB to PostgreSQL I had
lots of items without rid in the MariaDB database and obviously did not
migrate that over to the PostgreSQL database but instead let Akonadi
create a new PostgreSQL database. I would have expected some kind of
data loss, however I never missed a mail. That does not mean all too
much as I have many mails in many folders as I monitor various mailing
lists. I probably would not even notice in case a mail from those
mailing lists would be missing. However I never missed anything I had
written or received directly.

Best,
--
Martin