Message signing popups....

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri May 29 10:54:48 BST 2020

On Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 10:13:29 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday May 28 2020 22:37:52 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >The list used by GnuPG is stored in  ~/.gnupg/trustlist.txt and it is empty
> >by default.
>
> So if this is purely user-specific, can one tell gpg just to trust any
> certificate or on the contrary, none at all - without ever bothering the
> user about it? I think that's basically the question of the OP.

I'm not sure. Browsing the output of 'man gpgsm', I didn't see an appropriate
option. But answering "No" (or "Yes", but I wouldn't click "Yes" without
verifying the root certificate) in the dialog will silence gpgsm for this
particular root certificate. Given that there aren't that many root
certificates and that S/MIME-signed emails are not that common, the dialog
will probably not reappear for a long time.

> An interesting side question is how and why he started getting the trust
> requests all of a sudden;

Maybe he has never received S/MIME-signed emails before. I got those requests
only for messages by one person on some mailing list.

> does gpg support the use of a system-wide
> trustlist.txt which can be altered by system updates?

No.