Still performance issues, this time: Shrinking a folder with archivemail

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Mar 24 19:12:54 GMT 2020

Ingo Klöcker - 24.03.20, 19:54:29 CET:
> On Dienstag, 24. März 2020 17:28:23 CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I got all 4 cores of a Sandybridge dual core CPU clogged with
> > PostgreSQL processes + akonadi_indexing_agent since more than half
> > an hour. Well plus one pxz process to recompress the archivemail
> > archive as xz.
> I kill the akonadi_indexing_agent (3 times to make Akonadi stop
> restarting it) each time I start Akonadi because it uses too much
> memory (probably when indexing a large mbox or maildir folder) and
> regularly killed my 10+ year old system with just 4 GiB RAM. It runs
> fine on my equally old notebook (also 4 GiB of RAM), but there I
> don't have my large maildir/mbox archive.
>
> Maybe killing the indexing agent would also have helped in your case.

Yeah.

I try that next time I shrink a folder.

I believe last time I did it, I killed it before and it was better.

And yeah, I know its a part Dan had the aim to redesign.

And yeah, I know its a volunteer project.

So no offense meant. It is just kinda frustrating to see that these
issues are still there.

Best,
--
Martin