philosophy of design; request for instruction

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 00:31:55 BST 2020

On Monday, 8 June 2020 17:13:23 BST Paul Vixie wrote:

> on my rolling suse tumbleweed distribution, which replaces all of itself
> about twice a week, my "about" window has this to say:
>
> Kontact Version 5.14.1 (20.04.0)
> KDE Frameworks 5.70.0
> Qt 5.15.0 (built against 5.15.0)
> The xcb windowing system

What is an xcb windowing system? Xcb can be the X cut buffer or X C bindings,
but I don't know what that means.

> how do i get a KDE PIM that new without using an OS that's crossed over to
> systemd? i know my way around "apt" on devuan and "ports" on freebsd. i'd be
> willing to run a cvs/svn/git/whatever "pull" and then run some kind of
> build command twice a week if that's the answer to avoiding systemd. i can
> also add repositories to "apt" if someone is making packages for devuan
> (which is just debian w/o systemd). i promise to write a blog about it to
> help others, if someone who knows the answer will teach me.

I can see you're working yourself up to Gentoo. Go on - you know it makes
sense (as some idiot prime minister used to say). There's no need in Gentoo to
follow the herd into systemd. I haven't, and I don't foresee any need to.

Peter.

Gentoo testing system, openrc-0.42.1
gcc 9.3.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 5.4.38
QT 5.15.0, KDE frameworks 5.70.0, KDE plasma 5.18.5
KDE apps 20.04.1 incl KMail 5.14.1 (20.04.0), akonadi 20.04.1
dev-db/mariadb-10.4.12, net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.28.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0
dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl-19.30.838629