kmail has messed up the email accounts

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Jun 6 18:21:45 BST 2020

On Saturday, 6 June 2020 14:15:32 UTC test wrote:
> On 6/3/20 11:21 AM, Anders Lund wrote:
> > Please stop. Find a mail client that suits your needs better, og live with
> > spending the few minutes to set up kmail to your likings, it is really not
> > that hard!
>
> Please tell me how to do that.  I have asked several times how to do
> that.  Currently, I can not set up anything in kmail because it only
> shows a dialog saying it doesn't work and then quits or crashes.

i think an oddball dialog box followed by a crash is worth knowing more about.
however, this thread has distracted from the basic facts of your case. have
you heard about

https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development/Bug_Reports

and if so do you have a bug report number to share? if you can take screen
shots of the dialog box and the crash report or stack trace, and describe the
actions you took to reach that crash, and the version numbers of your OS, your
KDE, and your KDE PIM... then someone here may be able to fix a real bug, or
offer you a workaround.

i had stopped using KMail for several years after the Akonadi change, because
i could not get work done. it wasn't until i started using Suse Tumbleweed
that it worked at all. it's a rolling distribution that replaces every cell in
its body twice a week with tip-of-branch on all components, thus, it has the
latest KDE PIM. debian (devuan), freebsd, and other Suse distros are months or
years behind. this mattered a lot in my case.

but i still had to run "akonadictl fsck" several times a day, and delete my
whole database several times per month, until i switched from mysql to pgsql.

so, while i've questioned your choice of words in this thread, i do not argue
against your basic message that this software is rickety. if i weren't an
addict, or if PGP integration weren't a must-have, i would explore
alternatives. if i could figure out how to set up a build environment, i'd try
to learn C++ well enough to contribute code. (hint, it's not as much like C as
its name would indicate!)

do share the details of your crash, via the bug report page shown above. there
are some very strong experts here, as well as a few addicted power users like
myself who may have faced what you're facing and merely forgotten what we had
to do to work around that problem.

--
Paul