kmail has messed up the email accounts

test test at adminart.net
Tue Jun 2 20:24:03 BST 2020

On Tue, 2020-06-02 at 12:09 +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Hi test,
>
> I'm writing this message as one of the authors of KMail and as member of
> the
> KDE community who tries to support KMail users.
>
> on Montag, 1. Juni 2020 11:45:50 CEST test wrote:
> > And the concept of identities is bullshit; I'm just using different
> > email
> > accounts for different purposes.  That doesn't have anything to do with
> > my
> > identity; my identity is not something I would reveal to anyone and
> > especially not to the whole world by sending emails or otherwise.  It's
> > what leads to everything being messed up in the first place because if
> > could just use different email accounts, this wouldn't happen to begin
> > with.
>
> I consider the above disrespectful to the authors of KMail. You see no
> point
> in the concept of identities. That's okay. What's not okay is that you
> call
> this concept "bullshit". I feel personally insulted by this.

I'm sorry that you feel insulted.  It wasn't my intention to insult anyone,
and I didn't think I would.

> As you can see from the replies by other people in this thread, other
> people
> see the value of identities. You don't agree with them. That's okay as
> long as
> your replies are respectful and considerate (cf. the KDE Community Code
> of
> Conduct I quoted in my other message to this thread wearing a different
> hat,
> and, btw, using a different identity).

I don't dislike the functionality.  What I strongly dislike is this concept
of having multiple identities.

It usually takes a long time for people before they have figured out who
they are, and it is difficult enough.  In a way, it is disrespectful and
offensive that a MUA should force a user to assume multiple identities just
to be able to use several email accounts (for different purposes).

Users shouldn't be told that they should have multiple identities, no
matter if they have already figured out who they are or not.  It feels
wrong that I should assume different identities as if I were a criminal
trying to hide behind a faked idententity, or as if I was doing something
wrong so that I should need additional identities to hide behind.

Instilling this kind of feeling in users when they configure their MUA is
wrong.  The concept of having multiple identities is obfuscating and
confusing.

I shouldn't be told by a MUA that I am supposed to be indifferent by having
lots of indenties and should surrender to the nowadays fashionable paradigm
of "anthing goes".

This paradigm creates people who don't know what's right and wrong and
likely will never figure out who they are.  It's a pardagim that hurts
people and defies human dignity until there is no simple human decency and
no dignity left.  This concept of multiple identities is a symptom of this
paradigm and at the same time, through what it suggests to users, it is an
agent of it.

Since your name seems to indicate that you speak German, please watch this
inverview (it's in German) at [1] and tell me this:  How can people
nowadays gain their humanity, especially considering that humanity has
created an unrestricted memory?

And after that, can you explain to me how the concept of multiple
identities is not totally appalling?

I also dislike that the functionality is broken, but that's an entirely
different matter :)

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9SyTEUi6Kw
You could skip to the last question at the end, but I highly recommend to
watch it all, and very carefully so, because besides that it is a delight
and a pleasure to watch, it will be even more difficult to understand the
question and the answer if you don't.

> You will see that the people on this list are much more willing to help
> you
> with the problems you are having with KMail if you are more respectful to
> the
> views of others.
>
> > Maybe it's for people who don't know who they are or who are
> > suffering from some kind of mental illness ...)
>
> I find it highly offensive that you seem to make fun of people suffering
> from
> mental illness.

You are right, that was entirely stupid and inappropriate of me, and I want
to apologize for this remark.  I'm sorry, I didn't realize what I was
saying.