kmail has messed up the email accounts

test test at adminart.net
Tue Jun 2 01:04:19 BST 2020

On Mon, 2020-06-01 at 13:55 +0200, Ian Douglas wrote:
> On Monday, 01 June 2020 13:11:29 SAST test wrote:
>
> > How would that make sense?  Are you trying to trick recipients into
> > thinking you're someone else?  Is that why trying to create a false
> > impression of security is the default in kmail?
>
> I have multiple domains and multiple email accounts, sometimes more than
> one
> per domain. This is so I can keep stuff from different sites separate,
> and
> separate personal and business.

So you just use different email accounts.

> I think the concept of identities is brilliant. When you understand how
> to use
> them properly, you may agree :-)

And how do you use them, be it properly or otherwise?

> For example, some people may use the same email address for work and
> business.
> But when replying to business emails, they need formal add-ons like
> disclaimers, titles, contact, etc, which are not necessary when replying
> their wife.

That would be settings that depend on the recipients of the message.

> So you have two identities, with different settings, then filter
> mail from wife to particular folder, and set kmail to use private
> identity on
> that folder ...

What about the admin or your boss, do you really want them to have access
to your private messages you're exchanging with your wife and your kids?

Just use different accounts for that, and per account, settings need to
depend on the recipients.  That's not something that could be accomplished
with settings depending on folders, even if you were to pick multiple
folders when creating a message with multiple recipients because kmail
won't be able to tell which folder is for which recipient.

And why not?  Since kmail uses a database, why not use it for settings
depending on recipients?  Why should it matter which account you're using
to send a message to your business partner or to your wife; the one
probably still prefers to get your phone number while the other already has
it.  (Though I would prefer settings to optionally depend on recipient and
account rather than only on the recipient ...)

Only one identity is needed, potentially using multiple accounts,
potentially using settings depending on recipients.  I'm not turning into
multiple personalities just because some MUA figures I should go crazy.
It's the MUA which is mad.

> But I also think the whole "set up accounts" dialogues need a rethink.
> I've
> been using kmail for years and still have to fiddle around in different
> places
> to get things to work properly when adding a new account.

Well, I fiddled after it got broken by trying to set up some email accounts
and it broke so badly that kmail has become unusable because it only shows
a popup that it doesn't work and then quits or crashes before I could do
anything.

Unfortunately, the whole concept needs an overhaul; fixing some dialogs
won't fix kmail.  It has been greatly improved over the years, and it would
be great if I could use it.