How to debug connection problems

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 04:56:58 GMT 2020

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 1:09 AM Erik Quaeghebeur
<mail.kde.org at equaeghe.nospammail.net> wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>

> > Since installing KDE on my new system I've not been able to send mail
> > with Kontact.  I can read email fine.
>
> Some questions:
> * Is there anything in the logs? (syslog, journalctl)

Not in either of those.  Not on the commandline.  There used to be a
way to see the KDE logs, but I can't remember it and I don't know if
it still exists.

> * Can you successfully send mail with another program using the same system
> account?
> * What kind of outgoing connection is it? (SMTP, Exchange; ports)

SMTP, with STARTTLS on port 587.  I can telnet in to that port.  The
same settings work on my phone.

> * In akonadiconsole, is the agent for sending mail present/OK?

Aha!  That is it.  It was not running.  After restarting it worked.
So I rebooted and it still worked.

Thanks so much.  TIL about akonadiconsole.  :-)

Michael