How to debug connection problems

Erik Quaeghebeur mail.kde.org at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Tue Dec 8 08:09:30 GMT 2020

Dear Michael,

> Since installing KDE on my new system I've not been able to send mail
> with Kontact.  I can read email fine.

Some questions:
* Is there anything in the logs? (syslog, journalctl)
* Can you successfully send mail with another program using the same system
account?
* What kind of outgoing connection is it? (SMTP, Exchange; ports)
* In akonadiconsole, is the agent for sending mail present/OK?

> […] When I try to send a message there is no
> message, but the email stays in the sent mail folder and doesn't get
> sent.

Do you mean the outbox? (When I send mail with KMail, it is saved to the
local outbox before being sent. In case of problems it stays there. I do
get error messages in that case.)

Best,

Erik