Unable to sign email

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Thu Nov 28 10:34:11 GMT 2019

Hi, sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the answer.

On Sunday, 24 November 2019 21.55 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Freitag, 22. November 2019 22:42:55 CET Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > I was sending an email, when my keyboard suddenly died, and I was unable
> > to enter the pass-phrase for signing it, and had to cancel. Since then
> > I've been unable to sign (and encrypt) email. I just get two popups
> > saying "Could not compose message: No passphrase given", but no
> > possibility to actually sign it.
> > I tried first logging out and in again, to no avail. Then I rebooted,
> > but
> > still the same.
> >
> > I've been privileged that it has worked for years without problems, and
> > now I haven't got the faintest idea how to get it to work again. It
> > seems very fragile to stop working for such a little thing.
>
> The passphrase is asked by an external pinentry application that in turn
> is started by the gpg-agent daemon which is tasked by KMail (through
> gpgme) with signing the mail. I have no idea why you canceling a signing
> operation should have broken signing in general.

No, that is pretty weird. As it often is, we'll never know. When testing
*one* more time it just worked. Frustrating, but also kinda nice.

> As far as I understand, you are no longer asked for a passphrase when you
> try to sign a message.

I wasn't, and for some odd reason I'm not asked now either. Normally after a
reboot, I would be asked for a passphrase for the key and key ring. Not now.

> Can you still decrypt encrypted messages?

I didn't check before. Works now.

> Did you check that the correct signing key is set in the settings of your
> identity?

I did, also before sending opening post.

> Can you sign something with the gpg command line, e.g. by
> running
> echo Hello | gpg --clearsign
> in Konsole?

I get a warning about a revoked key I still have, but it picks it right one.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Thomas Tanghus