any progress on kmail in debian buster?

John White john at lawquest.com
Wed Aug 21 22:06:57 BST 2019

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:11:05 AM PDT Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> John White - 20.08.19, 16:54:15 CEST:
> > On Monday, August 19, 2019 9:48:54 PM PDT John White wrote:
> > > On Monday, August 19, 2019 11:59:37 AM PDT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > >
> > > On Monday August 19 2019 11:24:39 John White wrote:
> > >And I still can't figure out how to mark and archive all 2018 emails
> > >into > >a>

> > Thank you.  I am not sure you are using Debian Buster or kmail 5.9.3
> > but your suggestion was very helpful as it caused me to realize that
> > I had to "expand all groups" before highlighting the emails and then
> > to actually read the kmail directions for a change, where I learned
> > that after the emails are highlighted one types "m" to move them.
> >
> > I also learned that on my 8 gig memory machine, I had to break the
> > emails down (I chose by month) for akonadi to work, the files being
> > large, and even then akonadi "closed unexpectedly" several times. As
> > I have about 1500 emails in each 2018 month, and as the process is
> > quite slow, I was only able to get 3 months done tonight, but at
> > least now I know how to do it.
>
> For local Maildir there is another way that I believe works much faster,
> but it involves moving files around on the filesystem while Akonadi is
> running. As the Akonadi maildir resource monitors the filesystem it will
> pick up the change and update the database.
>
> Moving a lot of mails within KMail is very slow.
>
> As it is something I would only consider for advanced users willing to
> navigate a maildir directory on command line or file manager, I skip
> describing it in detail unless someone explicitly requests it.
>
> Thanks,

Martin, I am not an expert user by any means, and I intend to continue
moving 2018 emails from inbox to a 2018 inbox folder using the "m" facility as I am
fearful of changing horses in mid-stream.   But, as you say, it is
quite slow.

I do use the command line on occasion for some purposes and, for next time I
do a move, I might just try your command line move suggestion.  Someday
when you have nothing better to do, could you please send out the "willing
to navigate a maildir directory" suggestion?