any progress on kmail in debian buster?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Aug 20 17:11:05 BST 2019

John White - 20.08.19, 16:54:15 CEST:
> On Monday, August 19, 2019 9:48:54 PM PDT John White wrote:
> > On Monday, August 19, 2019 11:59:37 AM PDT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> >
> > On Monday August 19 2019 11:24:39 John White wrote:
> >And I still can't figure out how to mark and archive all 2018 emails
> >into > >a>
> > >separate 2018 folder.  I am thinking that if I could move them to a
> > >separage folder,
> > >
> > > 1) sort by date
> > > 2) select the top 2018 entry in the message list
> > > 3) scroll down, find the last 2018 entry, shift-click it
> > > 4) do whatever you want with the selection, but don't left-click
> > > on it ;)
> Thank you.  I am not sure you are using Debian Buster or kmail 5.9.3
> but your suggestion was very helpful as it caused me to realize that
> I had to "expand all groups" before highlighting the emails and then
> to actually read the kmail directions for a change, where I learned
> that after the emails are highlighted one types "m" to move them.
>
> I also learned that on my 8 gig memory machine, I had to break the
> emails down (I chose by month) for akonadi to work, the files being
> large, and even then akonadi "closed unexpectedly" several times. As
> I have about 1500 emails in each 2018 month, and as the process is
> quite slow, I was only able to get 3 months done tonight, but at
> least now I know how to do it.

For local Maildir there is another way that I believe works much faster,
but it involves moving files around on the filesystem while Akonadi is
running. As the Akonadi maildir resource monitors the filesystem it will
pick up the change and update the database.

Moving a lot of mails within KMail is very slow.

As it is something I would only consider for advanced users willing to
navigate a maildir directory on command line or file manager, I skip
describing it in detail unless someone explicitly requests it.

Thanks,
--
Martin