Missing personal calendar

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Tue Aug 20 00:06:36 BST 2019

Am Montag, 19. August 2019, 09:16:40 CEST schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Jörg Schaible - 19.08.19, 01:07:53 CEST:
> > > I had the feeling that this way they'd be more robust than
> > > with a single file. I currently do not remember having had any issue
> > > with that, so I bet it works quite stable.
> > >
> > > However as the resources that use a single file usually keep
> > > backups, you may still find your data.
> >
> > Where? I have in my complete home definitely only 4 .ics files. Three
> > in .local/ share/kalarm and one in .local/share/korganizer. The
> > latter one is the newest with a date from 18th December last year.
> > However, this is the same also in the backups from last month and I
> > had definitely my current dates and tasks 3 days ago.
>
> One thought about this. If Akonadi uses mmap() to access the file, the
> file date might not be updated. At least AFAIR I have seen such behavior
> with mmap()'ed files.

But the file does not contain any new stuff.

I made some tests now, and something is really bogus. Since I have no calendar - except
the birthdays - I've added a two new ICAL calendars, one file and one directory based.
Both calendars do not have created anything on disk at the defined locations. The file
based calendar does not even show the given name but "akonadi_ical_resource_4", the
internal name. Even if I add a date in each calendar, nothing happens on disk.

Now I stop akonadi over CLI and Kontact restarts it again. Suddenly I have an additional
calendar. The calendar properties reveal that this is a file based calendar with the same .ics
file than my "akonadi_ical_resource_4", but this time with the name I had given the
calendar originally. And now I have actually this isc file on my disk, but it is empty:

*~/tmp/mem $* cat myfile.ics
 new calendar does not have the date that is contained in the calendar
"akonadi_ical_resource_4" although both calendars claim to use the same file.

Even if I do an fsck and restart akonadi now, the situation does not change although it
reports that the akonadi_ical_resource_4 and akonadi_icaldir_resource_4 have no RID. And
the messages for fsck are the same running it a second time.

Now I open akonadconsole and select the "Clear akonadi cache" from the context menu
of the icaldir resource and the resource "akonadi_ical_resource_4". With the next restart of
akonadi, the dates of those two calendar are gone.

And if I delete one of the ical file-based calendars in korganizer, the other one will be
deleted also.

It seems, the only way to restore my dates is to restore the DB and export all the dates :-/

Regards,
Jörg