any progress on kmail in debian buster?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Aug 16 15:35:24 BST 2019

Hi John.

John White - 14.08.19, 19:16:54 CEST:
>  Since updating from jessie to buster kmail (pop-3) has not worked
> right. It simply won't open, save, etc some emails.  This really
> messes things up.  If it keep trying to open one of the problem
> emails, kmail goes into la la land
> and just churns and churns.  Eventually, often, the computer will just
> freeze.  If it is not fixed soon, I fear I will have to try another
> email client.  As I love kmail, I will only do that if I have no
> choice.  I am told bug reports have been made, but its looking like
> nothing is being done.

I have Debian Sid with still the same KMail/Akonadi version than in
Debian Buster and I cannot reproduce this issue. POP3 just works fine
here. Using Akonadi with PostgreSQL backend, but it worked fine with
MariaDB as well.

Without further information (see my mail to peter in the thread 'All
local folders lost in KMail' for some hints on what information could be
interesting) there is nothing more I can say.

But here is some other generic hints on what information to include:

KDE PIM/Development/Bug Reports

https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development/Bug_Reports

As for the situation in Debian: I am not happy about it. I do have some
stability issues with KMail 18.04 in Debian just crashing several times
a day to due some Qt WebEngine related issue that has been fixed in newer
versions. However… Akonadi mostly behaves here, especially after I
switched to PostgreSQL.

However… upstream is not responsible for what version is packaged in
Debian. You could ask on debian-kde mailing list. Some members of the
Debian/Kubuntu Qt/KDE Team are subscribed there. However the chances for
any backport of a newer KDEPIM version for Debian Sid to Debian Buster
would be slim as the team is very small and may just not manage to find
the time to provide and maintain such a backport.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/

Best,
Martin

--