All local folders lost in KMail

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Wed Aug 14 17:30:38 BST 2019

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:06:11 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Wednesday August 14 2019 15:50:12 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > If anyone has sent me anything in the last two days, please send it again.
>
> Rest assured, I didn't :)

:)

> But this is why long ago I decided to
> - never use ISP addresses (and employer addresses only for employer-related
> stuff) - use at least 1 GMail address and its seemingly ever-growing
> available space - use a local IMAP server to archive those messages I want
> to archive (or too private to keep on a server) - archive manually
> - leave everything that cannot be deleted at once nor isn't too privated and
> doesn't necessarily have to be archived on the server.
>
> IMAP was developped with the idea in mind that your email arrives on a
> single server but you may not always be reading it from the same place.
> Remote server maintainers are also usually a lot better than I am at
> keeping backups.

Yes, I understand that; it doesn't apply to me though because I only read mail
on my workstation. I'm beginning to wonder, though, whether I should keep all
my mail on the local IMAP server instead of fetching it here. I've only had
that in place since it became clear that KMail would never be fault free with
POP accounts.

I'll have to think about it.

> You said something about archiving your email to a volume that's mounted
> under your home directory. Is that by any chance on a removable drive? The
> KF5 Solid framework has the capability to distinguish removables from other
> kinds of mounts. Akonadi and/or kmail might use that feature to do
> something (supposedly) clever with removable storage but could also simply
> not be designed to handle archive storage that isn't available
> continuously.

It's a partition on the same NVMe drive as most of the rest of the system.
Long ago, before I'd settled on a particular distribution, I decided to have a
separate ~/common partition to hold more-or-less everything but hidden files
and directories. That way, a new distro would have its own ~/ and not clobber
anything belonging to another one. I found it useful and have never changed.
It's particularly useful on those far too many occasions when I have to build
a new home directory because KMail has strewn wreckage everywhere.

Peter.

Gentoo stable system, openrc-0.41.2
gcc 8.3.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 4.19.66
QT 5.12.3, KDE frameworks 5.60.0, KDE plasma 5.15.5
KDE apps 19.04.3 incl KMail 19.04.3 (5.11.3), akonadi 19.04.3
dev-db/mariadb-10.2.22-r1, net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.24.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0.1
dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl 19.10.785425-r1