All local folders lost in KMail

Colin Close itchka at compuserve.com
Fri Aug 9 10:26:38 BST 2019

On Friday, 9 August 2019 09:27:38 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 9 August 2019 07:52:15 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > On Thursday August 08 2019 10:14:43 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > >I'm beginning to wonder whether my problems, which are many and varied,
> > >stem from the way I build the system. This being Gentoo, everything is
> > >compiled from source - even the compiler. This is what I have set for
> > >kmail, in case it helps:
> > >
> > >kde-apps/kmail-19.04.3:5::gentoo  USE="handbook -debug -test"
> >
> > Does `-debug` mean that you're building a debug variant without
> > optimisation, or just that you build with something like `-O2 -g` and
> > preserve the debug information?
>
> As Scott said, It means I'm building with handbook and without debug or
> test.
> > If the former you're probably taking a significant performance hit, and if
> > you're on a slower or very busy system this may lead to subtle issues, for
> > instance because of timeouts not being met.
>
> This is an Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, with 32GB RAM and 256GB NVMe
> "disk", so I think the question of speed is turned on its head - it's more
> likely to be too fast than too slow.
>
> I wonder: could database operations be getting tangled up by queries etc
> coming back before another thread is ready to catch it? If so, perhaps I
> should look into switching to Postgres. I know several people here have done
> that, but I'm deterred by unfamiliarity, but more by maintenance issues
> such as upgrades.

I don't use anything else but postgres now. It's faster and more reliable
(akonadi fsck is a good test). However for recent versions of the Qt driver
one needs to patch akonadi as the Qt driver has become case sensitive for sql
queries. It's a one liner which has probably made it's way to the latest
source by now. Just in case you can find the patch via this page.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/c9v9wu/akonadi_and_qt_513/
I have updated postgres twice now with no issues. It's pretty simple.
This page gives a good description https://www.enricozini.org/blog/2015/
akonadi-install/
The driver file will already exist you just need to edit it to use the correct
driver [QPSQL]
Hope this helps