Switched to PostgreSQL

Vojtěch Zeisek vojtech.zeisek at opensuse.org
Thu Apr 11 13:07:10 BST 2019

Dne čtvrtek 11. dubna 2019 9:39:19 CEST, Martin Steigerwald napsal(a):
> So far the performance is really quite a bit better. The stalls during
> filtering are gone. About the crashes I am not sure yet. Also I found
> that there are no stalls anymore on deleting a mail.
> Did anyone with PostgreSQL setup did any tuning on the database?
> I see that the various PostgreSQL processes do not take all that much
> RAM yet. They take quite a bit of RSS, but apparently share lots of it,
> so the PSS is quite a bit lower (see in atop, memory display with "m",
> enable PSIZE gathering with "R").
> Is there something like mysqltuner for PostgreSQL? Otherwise I can use
> my own training slides or official documentation.
> However, as long as it stays as fast as it currently is, I might just
> let the configuration alone for now.
> Let's see how this goes.
> Thanks again for the hint to switch to PostgreSQL and the instructions
> for how to do it.

Regarding PostgreSQL, I always had feeling that upgrade of PostgreSQL is not
so straightforward as upgrade of MySQL. PostgreSQL DB must be exported, than
cluster upgraded, settings restored and old DB imported. How do users of
PostgreSQL and Akonadi handle this when upgrading their distribution?

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux