Switched to PostgreSQL

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Apr 11 08:39:19 BST 2019

Hi.

So after 2/3rd's of a day and letting it scan through the local maildir
collection throughout the night, after at some point during the day I
stopped akonadi_indexing_agent to accelerate the scanning process, I
have my private KDEPIM/Akonadi setup on PostgreSQL.

So far the performance is really quite a bit better. The stalls during
filtering are gone. About the crashes I am not sure yet. Also I found
that there are no stalls anymore on deleting a mail.

So far it looks like this:

~/.local/share/akonadi> LANG=en du -sch *
4.0K    akonadi_control.error
4.0K    akonadi_control.error.old
12K     akonadiserver.error
3.1G    db_data
79M     file_db_data
1.3G    search_db
4.0K    socket-merkaba
4.4G    total

Did anyone with PostgreSQL setup did any tuning on the database?

I see that the various PostgreSQL processes do not take all that much
RAM yet. They take quite a bit of RSS, but apparently share lots of it,
so the PSS is quite a bit lower (see in atop, memory display with "m",
enable PSIZE gathering with "R").

Is there something like mysqltuner for PostgreSQL? Otherwise I can use
my own training slides or official documentation.

However, as long as it stays as fast as it currently is, I might just
let the configuration alone for now.

Let's see how this goes.

Thanks again for the hint to switch to PostgreSQL and the instructions
for how to do it.

Ciao,
--
Martin