An odd debug message

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 08:46:25 BST 2018

On Friday October 26 2018 07:50:38 Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:

>Critical, yes, and why not.

Thanks Erik.

Yes, I can be critical, but I try to be just and constructive. One of the uses of a user mailing list is also that it's a barometer that can show where things that aren't downright bugs could be done better.

>I can understand the developers' decision to switch from QtWebKit tot
>QtWebEngine.

I never said nor meant to imply I don't understand it at all. What I understand less is dropping support of the one for the other.
KDevelop also uses QWE by default for its documentation rendering, but it has never dropped support for QWK. I maintain a personal patch that adds support for using QTextBrowser. As far as I can tell the QWK code has just been working for the last couple of years, with little or no maintenance.

A productivity suite that is probably going to be running 24/24 7/7 should IMHO strive to be as lean as possible. If running it means we're basically running the equivalent of Chrome/ium behind the scenes, something we're probably all already running at the same time, then at some point resource considerations might well push many people to switch to using just the web browser.

Transistors may keep getting cheaper, but the form in which we need them does not - because software evolution makes we need ever more of them to keep a comparable level of performance. (Replacing my 7yo i7 13" MacBook Pro which is still mostly powerful enough for my needs with something equivalent that's equally future-proof as this one was will probably cost me twice the price I paid back then.)

Anyway, this has been off-topic long enough.

R.