Fixing things Akonadi doesn't with some SQL-fu

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:04:23 GMT 2018

On Tuesday March 20 2018 23:19:23 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

I don't really have many constructive things to contribute, but:

>KDEPIM 17.08. The last one is that KMail caches the threading in folders, so

That's a big difference with my settings; I use a "flat date view" aggregation. I think that's because I've never seen a client do really reliable threading that doesn't get in my way (except possibly the Mail app on my iPhone, but different rules apply there anyway).

More speedy everything would of course be nice but since in any case I attempt to keep my folders to a manageable-for-me size I rarely run into issues with that. Full syncs do take longer than I'd like to have to wait, but that's more a result of the number of accounts and on-server folders.

I understand there's less happening on the main thread in KDEPIM5, which is good - and which is something I might be able to hack into KDEPIM4 if it becomes "necessary".

>major task in itself. There are still applications that do net yet have a KF5
>/ Qt 5 based release. This was maintenance work the KDEPIM developers had to
>do. Work that didn´t automagically create new features or fix up all the
>existing bugs. And work that had quite some potential for introducing
>regressions.
THere's also been an explosion of the more or less monolithic source/library bundling which must have taken time and is something regular users will see very little of. I won't comment on whether or not this was a good move (but note that KDevelop made the opposite move and can now be built and maintained as a single project).

>I never quit KMail before hibernating or suspend. The work-related KMail with
>the Exchange IMAP based account usually recovers just fine.

That's the keyword: "usually". That applies to my situation too, but the term is too flexible and thus not good enough. Restarting the app also has other benefits (purge memory for instance), and just not a problem if I do it on my own terms. Having to do so when I sit down at the awakened-and-supposedly-ready-to-go machine and discover that something just doesn't work right is a completely different scenario. If I can decrease the chance to avoid that by simply starting Kontact anew as part of the wake-up ritual, than I will. That's usually just 2 key presses as I have a dedicated terminal for KDEPIM (nowadays mostly to have feedback when Kontact quits and to see if some akonadi agent has been having the connectivity blues).

It's not that this recipe prevents all issues either (because I don't also quit akonadi itself?): there are still times where new mail just doesn't come in, for instance. Which is hard to detect if you don't have an independent means of checking for new email.

>some time, but most of the time it gets it right. Even after a night of having
>been hibernated.

How about  2 nights, or a whole winter? O:^)

[to Paul]
> If you want to be unhappy, that is entirely and solely your choice

Can we please keep that kind of remark out of the (any) discussion? It's even less productive than "blaming, blaming and more blaming" and frankly arrogant to anyone who's ever had to deal with depression.

On Tuesday March 20 2018 15:49:42 Paul Vixie wrote:
>i need kontact to Just Work, without giving it an SSD and 16GBytes of
>RAM to live in.
>
>perhaps that's where the disconnect lies.

Quite possibly - why would you not want a recent gaming-grade hot-rod to read your email and do some wordprocessing? ;)
Devs (not just of leading-edge applications) who work with older/slower/cheaper hardware seem to be decreasing in numbers.
Which is sad, to be honest. Linux used to be also the kind of OS you put on older hardware to extend its lifetime (without having to spend hundreds of € on a big enough SSD that's truly faster than spinning rust); if its applications lose that feature the OS will in a sense be a victim of its own success.

On Wednesday March 21 2018 09:13:50 Mathias Homann wrote:

>... wouldn't that mean that akonadi can have all kind of trouble as soon as
>the mail servers are not on the same physical lan? Which in fact I can confirm,
>sort of

My experience also. The times I do have to restart akonadi there has usually been some kind of LAN glitch that wasn't picked up properly by the IP stack on the host (which *usually* happens when you suspend/wake the machine, change the WIFI network etc).