ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Mar 20 22:49:42 GMT 2018

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> There are issues at some time and I sometimes still do a akonadictl restart,
> although I am quite confident that most of the time Akonadi would just need
> some time to get back to me – sometimes I just do not want to wait this long.
> Also I still have issues with mail indexing for my huge private mail setup.
> Currently akonadi_indexing_agent goes about reindexing all mail folders there,
> cause it for some reason does not think it has indexed them already which it
> has. This drags down the performance of this nice laptop with dual SSD BTRFS
> RAID 1 – BTRFS may easily affect the performance negatively, as database based
> workloads suffer on it, even on SSDs – + 16 GiB RAM a lot. At the moment I
> just killall the process until Akonadi does not restart it anymore in that
> case. Once I have upgraded to KDEPIM 17.12 I want to remove that more than 6
> GiB large search_db folder and let it have one go at reindexing everything
> from scratch. Dan also has a plan about improving this. The current way the
> indexing works unfortunately is highly, highly inefficient.
>
> So its certainly not perfect for me, but definitely usable. I am sad that it
> does not seem to work out for you at the moment. You may want to describe your
> setup, maybe I or others have some tips for you to consider. I do use MariaDB
> with 1 GiB of InnoDB buffer pool size and in my subjective impression this
> helps a lot with performance. I usually notice it quite quickly when Akonadi
> overwrites this change to the MySQL configuration due to an update.

martin, your story is perfect and i wouldn't want you to change a word
of it.

your dedication of human time, your availability of human talent, and
your willingness to allocate machine resources... is completely absurd.

if kmail is for people like you, then it's done, and no reason to worry
about any remaining database issues.

i spend approximately 1% of the time, talent, and gigabytes on Postbox
that you describe here, and like you i receive thousands of e-mails per day.

i need kontact to Just Work, without giving it an SSD and 16GBytes of
RAM to live in.

perhaps that's where the disconnect lies.

--
P Vixie