ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Mar 20 21:55:29 GMT 2018

Dear Paul,

Paul Vixie - 17.03.18, 23:42:
> several here have suggested that i reconsider my insistence on total
> removal of akonadi. ok, i am reconsidering. any dev with references and
> experience who would work on fixing dan's database-related akonadi bugs,
> or on turning all diagnostic outputs on stderr into abort()'s and then
> incrementally fixing each such abort() to either not have state
> incoherency at all or to stop falsely reporting it, but who can't spend
> as much time on it as you'd like unless someone pays you, please get in
> touch. my resources are not infinite, but i need kmail!

I suggest you read through:

Re: Review of database aspect of Akonadi, Akonadi concepts and a master plan
https://marc.info/?l=kde-pim&m=152137731726228&w=2

In there I summarized four major changes for Akonadi that in my understanding
have the potential to remove the reason for the majority of all bug reports
and issues users currently report. Dan shared these changes with Pablo, Sandro
and me as we constructively discussed what we can do to move things forward.
This all started as Pablo offered to review the database aspect of Akonadi and
I asked Sandro and Dan about it.

I don´t know yet whether any KDEPIM developer would accept some funding or
sponsoring, but you may try to go about it and ask them. I asked Dan and
Sandro, but did not get a response so far. If I receive one, I tell you. Note,
that depending on any day to day job they have, they may or may not be able to
free up time to work on KDEPIM + Akonadi for a limited amount of time – and
their day to day job may provide more long-term financial safety.

I have seen sponsoring development work work very well in Krita… but of course
there needs to be someone who is willing to accept money and able to free up
and commit to the necessary time for the development work.

On any account I suggest you try to approach KDEPIM developers with a friendly
and constructive tone. It goes a long way to success. Most of them work on it
in their free time and they do what they can. For contacting the developers
regarding that, asking on kde-pim mailing list or… probably even via IRC might
be more likely succeed than asking here.

> note: no license change, all fixes to be sent through normal system, no
> change to governance... just better kontact.

Now that is something I am quite certain KDEPIM developers can agree with :)

Thanks,
--
Martin