ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

Vojtěch Zeisek vojtech.zeisek at opensuse.org
Sun Mar 18 12:47:19 GMT 2018

Dne neděle 18. března 2018 10:16:21 CET, Paul Vixie napsal(a):
> so it isn't that i don't _have_ to pay, but rather that there is no
> _opportunity_ to pay. but-- i need kmail!

I'm probably too happy user. I have been using KMail since KDE3 with custom
IMAP servers, Google as well as MS Exchange. So far I consider KMail the
best, most feature rich and complex mail agent. Thunderbird requires dozens
of add-ons and upgrade is pain. Evolution lacks many functions. MS Outlook is
total crap. I don't say I don't have various problems with KMail, but there
are problems with every software pieces and so far I haven't found anything
better than KMail/KDE PIM. I don't have super-big problems with Akonadi. I
remember "funny" problems with Thunderbird, not speaking about MS products.
Am I an exception being happy with KMail?
I'm bit confused by some debates here. Why people having so serious issues
with KDE PIM keep using KMail? Many ways how people complain here are just
useless and discouraging. IMHO it makes sense to report bugs, contribute
(anyhow) and/or suggest how to improve things. Just complaining doesn't help
anyone and it doesn't move the project forward.
What I'd like to see is:
1) Roadmap of things which are needed to do, including responsible people.
Tracking of feature requests.
2) Focus mainly on getting the things working correctly, so not to add too
much new features, rather polish existing ones.
3) Faster responses in Bugzilla.
4) Up to date documentation.
5) Better work with Google (well, as in Google there are --beep censored--
devs not following standards, any 3rd party client has many issues).

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/