kde-pim dev needed, for a sponsored open source effort, to remove akonadi

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Mar 16 21:18:47 GMT 2018

so there are two things i am unclear on, wrt akonadi's problems.

looked at: https://marc.info/?l=kde-pim&m=151777761106658&w=2

question 1: how did it ever get this bad? clearly the design and
implementation was not stress tested or stringently reviewed.

question 2: why would we stress test or stringently review a fix, given
that akonadi + kde-pim as it is, wasn't tested or reviewed, and is
unusably bad?

background:

i have to shut down kmail and akonadi whenever i'm not reading e-mail,
to keep it from eating my 12-hour battery in 45 minutes, and to protect
my network bandwidth. when i start it back up i have to do it in a very
particular order since only the first imap connection to come up will be
able to do IDLE, and the kolabsys imap server _only_ works if you do
IDLE. and then akonadi has to check _every single folder_ to find out if
anything has changed. and then if anything has changed it has to
re-download _every single message_ in that folder. including trash,
which usually has thousands of messages in it. so i'm in it for a
minimum of a gigabyte of bandwith and 15% of my battery just to start
kmail back up, which i have to do whenever i receive encrypted e-mail.

conclusion:

my view is, don't ask for second set of eyes on code or testing, just
commit patches to make akonadi better, because nothing you can break
that way would be worse than the current situation.

vixie