kde-pim dev needed, for a sponsored open source effort, to remove akonadi

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Mar 15 14:23:53 GMT 2018

hello. i've been using kmail for about a dozen years, due to its excellent
integration with pgp. however, it has a lot of very old bugs on board, and not
a lot of evidence that the people who know how to fix them, are motivated to
do so. i'd like to provide that motivation.

what i want, specifically, is a version of kontact that does not use akonadi.
i used for a time the kontact that's built by kolab systems, but ultimately i
need something that works well inside suse tumbleweed, which isn't one of
kolabsys' build platforms.

i can pay a reasonable fee for this. the result would be given to the KDE
community under the same license that kde-pim has always had. if nobody but me
adopts it and it falls behind on feature level, then i'll strongly consider
sponsoring ongoing development to keep the non-akonadi version up-to-modern.

what i don't want, specifically, is to argue about whether akonadi was or is
or could ever be a good idea, if only it had been or could be properly
supported. i will ignore any responses on that topic.

i send this after yet again restarting akonadi server four times so far today,
restarting kontact twice, rebooting three times, vacuuming, fsck'ing, and
using tcpdump to find out what's not happening so that i can try to guess why.

if you wish to work with me on this project, please provide me some
references, both work you've done in kde-pim in the past, and colleagues in
the community who would vouch for your honesty, integrity, discipline, follow
through, and technical skills.

thank you for reading this far.

--
Vixie

ps. if you've never run akonadi from a terminal window where you can see how
the sausage gets made, i recommend several shots of vodka before you begin.