KDEPIM and Libre Office

Thomas Hejze thejze at gmx.at
Fri Jun 29 14:14:46 BST 2018

Hi,
I use KDEPIM for more than 15 years and I have always been maintaining my
adressbook, not only for E-Mail but also "snail mail" (as it is called
sometimes). I run a small enterprise, my customers are in my KDE adressbook
and yes, there are still letters to be written on paper.

My current problem is the integration into Libre Office. I remember once it was
possible to connect to KDE-Adressbook from Libre Office by database connection,
but for some reason this functionality got lost. Currently I use the following
workaround:

1) Export the data to a csv file.
2) Create a database connection in Libre Office to that file.
3) In case of updates: rewrite that specific csv file.

This workaround has two big disadvantages: First, this is a very static
solution, which requires a lot of extra maintainance work. Second, the libre
office database connection has a problem with special characters (üöäß), so data
are not provided correctly. There is no way to set the correct codepage
(except maybe by sophisticated macro programming).

AFAIK Akonadi is nothing else but some sort of database management system on
top of mariadb. So I wonder, what would necessary to make Libre Office connect
to KDEPIM (again).

Currently Libre Office offers the following types of adressbook connections:
- Firefox/Iceweasel
- Thunderbird/Icedove
- dBase
- JDBC