Kmail not reflecting contents of ~/mail (maildir)

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 30 14:58:21 BST 2018

On Monday, 30 July 2018 12:46:45 BST Maurice wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 07:52:09 +0100, Ianseeks wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what the problem might be but if it can't "see" the emails,
> > i doubt it can index them.
>
> Well, on the same Linux (Mageia-6) install, another user's Kmail picks up
> and runs with its own ~/mail structure - first time, and shows the
> files in each folder. So it's not Kmail itself that is the problem, but
> something in my /home that us causing it, hence my suspicion of Akonadi.
> But perhaps it's something else.
I've always used opensuse.  Is the akonadi/mysql install all upto date? e.g. i'm running akonadiserver 5.8.3. and postgresql 9.6

> In my user session, it was doing until last week, when it suddenly
> decided
> not to behave. It shows an enpty Sent folder, none of the subfolders,
> and in Inbox only a few recent emails. Unusable.
> What could be causing the difference between the two users on the same
> system? I've never before seen Kmail fail to reflect the folder structure
> and maildir files in ~/mail, and I've been using Kmail on several
> different machines for years.
Have you tried creating a new user, transferring the mail structure, setting correct permissions/ownership etc and seeing if it works with the new user?

> Actually, I'm not stuck for email function, as some months ago I migrated
> my maildir DB (contents of ~/mail) to Thunderbird, which - although it
> has a terrible GUI - I've found much more reliable as well as simpler to
> clone onto other machines, and has allowed me to have an email service
> that does not get hung up on "Retrieving Folder Contents" until the time
> when that Kmail problem has been solved.
>   But in the meantime I have kept running Kmail so as to monitor its
> progress with the "Retrieving Folder Contents" problem.
I've had plenty of those but they went away when i started to use Postgresql.

> If I can't get Kmail on my desktop user to honour the contents of ~/mail
> shall have to rely on Kmail on my laptop (same Linux level using copy of
> my ~/mail) to do that monitoring - or an extra user on this one.
>
> I looked at the reference to 'failed migration' you pointed to, but this
> is not a migration problem; it had been working well until recently.
>   But I will try its suggestions about deleting Akonadi folders -
> something I may not have done thoroughly enough.
>
> The $64 question is: How to get Kmail to properly reflect the folder
> structure and maildir contents of ~/mail, which it appears to completely
> ignore  even though it shows that as a valid maildir directory...

Seems like it might need one of the PIM devs to offer an idea.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180726
Qt: 5.11.1 KDE Frameworks: 5.48.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.13.3 - kwin 5.13.3