something is really wrong with my kmail/kontact

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:44:57 BST 2018

On Thursday July 05 2018 22:14:51 E. Hakan Duran wrote:

Hi,

I'm guessing you already restarted akonadi and possibly the entire machine? How about updates you installed recently, can you tie the "stopped working" to something like that?

Just to be certain, try
%> akonadictl fsck
%> akonadictl vacuum
 before starting kontact or kmail. There may or may not be terminal feedback, so run `top` in another window to monitor each command before you start the next (depending on your configuration you may see akonadiserver become active or else mysqld).

>1.The toolbar button to compose new email is not functional. Clicking that button does not cause any response.

Do the corresponding menu entry and shortcut work?

>2. Typing anything in the search bar above the email list view causes immediate crash of kontact.

Regardless what is wrong with your settings or other this sounds like a bug you should report. Normally DrKonqi should start when a crash occurs, and it should guide you to obtain a useful backtrace and report that.

>Is there a way to reset the whole KDEPIM and starting from scratch? If so, would you recommend it?

Not a very easy one as far as I know because settings files are scattered over different locations. But unless you have something crucial you don't want to lose (like email that's no longer on the server) you could trash everything in ~/.config, ~/.local/share and ~/.cache with names that contain kontact, kmail and akonadi. It's an invasive step, but it *is* usually recommended when trying to get something to work again after it stopped working for no apparent reason.
Of course you can move all those files and directories to a backup location instead of deleting them. That would allow you to restore them one by one and possibly pinpoint the culprit.