kmail sigh

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Tue Jan 30 15:13:06 GMT 2018

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:09:36 +0000, Colin Close wrote:

> Hi Pablo,

Hi Colin,

> I haven't created any bugs because, as you have observed it is
> notoriously difficult to describe.

Please don't take this the wrong way ... I just want to state a
reality for me, as a developer (not of KDE).

In order for me to solve a problem, I generally need a repeatable test
case.  If I have a crushing load of work, incomplete bug reports will
fall to the wayside.

No bug reports, means the onus is on me to go out and look for bugs.
But if I have a crushing load of work, there's very little time to do
that.

> Since there was no response last time I posted this I assumed that
> the problem was already known.

Unfortunately I think that's a very bad assumption.

> I'm happy to provide some screen shots and the like if that will
> help make the situation clearer. Put as simply as possible the
> sequence runs like this.

What I am going to suggest will take work but in the end, it would
make your bug report more likely to get addressed.

Goal
====
Create stand-alone reproducible bug reports.

Make it as easy as possible for a developer to set up their
environment to reproduce the bug.

How
===
o Create a test email account (e.g. a burner gmail account)
o Create a new Linux user
o Login as the new user
o Set up kmail to use the test email account
o Create the reproducible bug
   + Detail the exact steps taken
   + Provide screen shots where clarity will help
o Test your bug report by replicating the above with yet another new
   Linux user and test email account.

Keep things brief.  Not walls of text.  :)

> [ trimmed ]

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926        iNum:  883.5100.0990.1054