kmail sigh

Colin Close itchka at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 30 10:09:36 GMT 2018

Hi Pablo,
I haven't created any bugs because, as you have observed it is notoriously
difficult to describe. Since there was no response last time I posted this I
assumed that the problem was already known.
I'm happy to provide some screen shots and the like if that will help make the
situation clearer.
Put as simply as possible the sequence runs like this.

1: By means of a number of mechanisms, filters having the highest probability,
a duplicate is introduced into the database but the duplicate is a ghost in
that it only contains the header of the mail and not the body of the message.
This is directly observable in the akonadi db tables.

2. The user runs akonadi fsck which supposedly deletes the duplicates. During
this process the original message (i.e. the one that actually has a body) is
deleted from the database. This leaves the ghost message in the db (i.e. the
one that has no body).

3. When kmail is started a check is run on the all folders to ensure that all
messages have been loaded. At this point kmail/akonadi discovers the unindexed
mail (remember that the "wrong duplicate" has only been deleted from the db by
"akonadi fsck"  it has not been deleted from the local folders) and so
recreates the missing mail in the db once again. Hence "akonadi fsck" can
never remove a duplicate.

4. What makes matters really bad is that even if you try to clean out the
duplicates by using the utility in the "folders" menu it can never remove them
because it is only the headers that match not the bodies thus they are both
seen as unique messages. The utility may not see the ghost duplicate at all
since it is possible that it only exists in the database but I am not sure
about this and considered that the inability of "akonadi fsck" to remove the
correct duplicate was enough to at least allow the cleaning of duplicates to
be fixed.

I am happy to give more details if required.

Best,
Colin Close