Suitability of sqlite or MariaDB to replace MySQL as akonadi DB

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Tue Dec 11 19:18:27 GMT 2018

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 19:07:14 +0100, Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> I was wondering what the current suitability is of sqlite and MariaDB to
> replace MySQL as the akonadi DB implementation. (I am aware that
> Postgresql is also an option, but also know it can function perfectly
> for akonadi.)
>
> I read that in the past sqlite was not performant enough for concurrent
> queries, but since then have seen multiple people state that it works
> fine. Any experiences from list subscribers?
>
> I have heard that MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL, but have
> the impression that some divergence has happened. Did anyone here move
> to MariaDB?

Hey Erik,

sqlite only allows table-level locking.  You do not want to use it.  ;)

I would not bother changing MySQL with MariaDB.  There won't be any
performance gains.

I have done some analysis and opened tickets.  Daniel knows about them
and there is some foundation work he has to do before he and I can get
back to doing some tunes.

I know the above is light on details but if you look at the past posts,
you can read about them.

Take care!

--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926        iNum:  883.5100.0990.1054