Goodbye for now, kmail

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Tue May 9 05:59:21 BST 2017

På Sat, 06 May 2017 11:30:18 +0200
Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> skrev:
> Anders Lund - 06.05.17, 11:20:
> > På Sat, 06 May 2017 00:05:56 +0200
> >
> > Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> skrev:
> > > I didn´t try Claws Mail yet, but I expect it to get this right and
> > > this is a major advantage of any mail client that gets this
> > > right.
> >
> > Both claws mail and thunderbird displays a mail when asked to. They
> > do not have the BSOD "feature" of kmail. Probably, no other email
> > client in the world is as silly as kmail in this regard. For the
> > rest, I mostly prefer kmail, was it only able to display mails...
>
> Thanks for confirming that. That is what I´d expect.
>
> Again, just for clarity:
>
> KMail isn´t at fault here. It *waits* for Akonadi. There is nothing
> it can do about that. So using your language: It is not KMail that is
> silly, but Akonadi is. (Well some may consider KMail to be silly
> since it relies on Akonadi tough… but I remember KMail pre-akonadi
> times and its own index file management had its flaws as well. It has
> been more than once that I deleted some broken index files back then
> and KMail then just didn´t show its main window until it has rebuild
> all those index files. Also KMail GUI was basically blocked on
> retrieving new mails via POP or moving lots of mails.)

Yes. But that does not make a difference to me as a user. I can't read
my mail using kmail.

> I think the main idea behind Akonadi is brilliant. Have a separate
> component to deal with the work to retrieve, store, cache mails. This
> way KMail can always be responsive to user requests. That it
> currently despite this nice concept is not, is a flaw in Akonadi, not
> in KMail.

I agree. It just does not appear to work well with email. I have a
suspiscion that it causes lots of reduntant network traffic, while it
is preventing kmail to work, btw. And no, experience tells me that
kmail can NOT be responsive while akonadi does its thing.

> So I am against moving all the ground work back into KMail – as I
> fully agree to idea to have it outside of it. I am for fixing Akonadi
> *or* it that is not possible within a reasonable amount of time and
> effort (that has been exceeded already if you ask me, but lets say
> from now on) replace it with something that works. Yet Sink even does
> not have complete functionality as of now as far as I Know. It has
> IMAP, but I don´t think it has POP3 which I myself and some other
> KMails I know of are using, and I am not sure about its local maildir
> capabilities. Not to speak of also handling calenders and contacts.
> And do fulltext indexing.

Non-akonadi kmail worked with akonadi contacts and calendars. File
indexing at that time was done by an external service, that didn't work
well either (what was the name?)

I am not really interrested in weather some parts of the work are done
by external processes, I would just wish it would work...

Kindly,
Anders