Goodbye for now, kmail

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 6 10:30:18 BST 2017

Anders Lund - 06.05.17, 11:20:
> På Sat, 06 May 2017 00:05:56 +0200
>
> Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> skrev:
> > I didn´t try Claws Mail yet, but I expect it to get this right and
> > this is a major advantage of any mail client that gets this right.
>
> Both claws mail and thunderbird displays a mail when asked to. They do
> not have the BSOD "feature" of kmail. Probably, no other email client
> in the world is as silly as kmail in this regard. For the rest, I mostly
> prefer kmail, was it only able to display mails...

Thanks for confirming that. That is what I´d expect.

Again, just for clarity:

KMail isn´t at fault here. It *waits* for Akonadi. There is nothing it can do
about that. So using your language: It is not KMail that is silly, but Akonadi
is. (Well some may consider KMail to be silly since it relies on Akonadi
tough… but I remember KMail pre-akonadi times and its own index file management
had its flaws as well. It has been more than once that I deleted some broken
index files back then and KMail then just didn´t show its main window until it
has rebuild all those index files. Also KMail GUI was basically blocked on
retrieving new mails via POP or moving lots of mails.)

I think the main idea behind Akonadi is brilliant. Have a separate component
to deal with the work to retrieve, store, cache mails. This way KMail can
always be responsive to user requests. That it currently despite this nice
concept is not, is a flaw in Akonadi, not in KMail.

So I am against moving all the ground work back into KMail – as I fully agree
to idea to have it outside of it. I am for fixing Akonadi *or* it that is not
possible within a reasonable amount of time and effort (that has been exceeded
already if you ask me, but lets say from now on) replace it with something
that works. Yet Sink even does not have complete functionality as of now as
far as I Know. It has IMAP, but I don´t think it has POP3 which I myself and
some other KMails I know of are using, and I am not sure about its local
maildir capabilities. Not to speak of also handling calenders and contacts.
And do fulltext indexing.

--
Martin