Goodbye for now, kmail

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Wed May 3 07:47:36 BST 2017

På Wed, 03 May 2017 00:24:24 +0200
Wilhelm Boltz <boltz.willi.list at gmail.com> skrev:
> Hi Anders,
>
> Am Montag, 1. Mai 2017, 17:48:51 CEST schrieb Anders Lund:
> > Today I finally elected to install thunderbird, and remove my mail
> > accounts from akonadi. In the current state, kmail is simply not
> > usable with my IMAP account, it sends unreasonable amounts of time
> > updating, and chokes in the process. I had to restart it all the
> > time, and most often, that would not even work, I can't get to read
> > my mail using kmail any longer. [...]
> > I will continue to use other parts of the kdepim suite for now,
> > mainly korganizer, in my experience bothe calendars and contacts
> > works fine with akonadi.
>
> a pretty long while ago I installed my own imap server on my desktop
> (dovecot + fetchmail) and do all filtering on the server using sieve.
> Doing it that way makes it very easy to switch from one mua to
> another one without moving one mail. In Kmail you can't move messages
> from INBOX to other folders (in case it is not done by sieve filter),
> so sometimes claws (or evolution) is in use to move them to other
> folders. Apart from that kmail works well for me.

Good to hear kmail works for you. In my case, where my mailaccount is
with my provider, it does not work at all. It may have to do with the
IMAP server they use, but that does not help me much, except maybe I
can find a provider using a IMAP server that works with kmail.

Since the last update, I am basically not able to view mail in kmail.
Akonadi simply chokes, and restarting it (which have been a work around
for a long time) does not help any longer.

I never had problems moving mail around using kmail (that is, in the
periods before akonadi chokes).

Kindly,
Anders