IMAP with KMail 4.14.10: Filter other folders than Inbox

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Mar 11 19:46:17 GMT 2017

On Friday 10 March 2017 21:17:52 Quazgar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to filter other IMAP folders than the inbox?

No. KMail only filters mail in the inbox. The reasoning for this is that
mails in other folders (obviously) must already have been filtered by
somebody else than KMail (which also is the case in your scenario). A
related reason for this design decision is that we wanted to minimize
the risk for filter loops.

> This is my scenario:
> In order to keep the clutter at a minimum when checking mails with my
> provider's web interface, I have a server-side filter that puts mails
> from the most high-volume mailing lists into a separate folder
> ("Inbox/lists/"). Now when I start KMail on my main machine I would
> like all filters to be applied to that folder as well, in order to
> move the mails to their respective local folders.

That's an interesting (and highly unusual) scenario.

> This works when I manually apply the filters on the mails in that
> folder, but it does not work for the automatic "filter incoming
> messages".
>
> Is there a way to tell KMail which folders shall be filtered?

Unless you are okay with manually applying the filters, you'll have to
resort to (e.g.) fetchmail+procmail for downloading those mails. Or you
could try using fetchmail to download the mails into a local inbox and
then filtering this local inbox with KMail.