Duplicate emails

ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 6 10:14:28 GMT 2017

On Monday, 6 March 2017 09:45:40 GMT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> FWIW I have not yet seen this in my very limited testing of what's
> presumably the latest PIM release on KaOS.
>
> Are those exact copies or do the 2 copies have a subtle difference somewhere
> in the headers or other metadata? Duplicates could arise from something as
> "stupid" as a least-significant-bit rounding difference in a timestamp, for
> instance.
If you mark all the emails as read via the option on right clicking the
folder, it does delete a number of deleted emails but not always all of them.
The "remove duplicates.." menu options don't even give you a message that its
even doing anything (i'm sure it used to) and it doesn;t seem to delete any
duplicates anymore.

> Presuming this happens with IMAP it would undoubtedly be interesting to see
> what happens on a local server, where you have physical access to the files
> that contain the account's IMAP folders.
I'm using POP

> OTOH it's probably possible to dump the raw messages with a database
> command, bypassing akonadi.
>
> R.
My system got to the point where i could not read any mailing list emails at
all because the "Retrieving folders..." problem affected every folder in my
set up.
So i created a brand new user and re-setup all my mailing list accounts so
everything was a fresh installation and configuration. I created my email
folder resource as "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" instead of "local-mail" (or
something of my choice.
I still get the same "retrieving..." problem if i set up kmail to go to first
unopen email in a folder but it doesn't happen as often.
I can work my round it by making all the emails "read" using the option on the
folder and making sure kmail goes to the last selected email that has already
been read.  I am now able to read all emails in that folder without the
problem.  One thing making all the emails "read" is that it deletes most of
the duplicate emails.
It seems pointless making bug reports as there is no indication on the report
if anyone has even looked at them, it would be nice if the bug report was
marked in some way to show that some relevant person has at least looked at
the report.  Its also difficult to know whether the bug report is for akonadi or
kmail.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170304
Qt: 5.7.1