Reducing .local/share/akonadi

solitone solitone at mail.com
Thu Jul 20 13:48:32 BST 2017

On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 23:59:08 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> akonadictl fsck
> akonadictl vacuum

I tried both the above commands, but they didn't do much difference:

$ du -h -d 1 .local/share/akonadi
396M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
498M    .local/share/akonadi/search_db
377M    .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
4.0K    .local/share/akonadi/db_misc
1.3G    .local/share/akonadi

Just 50MB less than before:

> > $ du -h -d 1 .local/share/akonadi
> > 401M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
> > 497M    .local/share/akonadi/search_db
> > 377M    .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
> > 4.0K    .local/share/akonadi/db_misc
> > 1.3G    .local/share/akonadi

> 1.3 GiB is not very much. Actually its really rather small.

Really?

Apart from few IMAP accounts, where data is stored on the server, I have a
POP3 and a local account, whose data are saved in two local maildirs. POP3
emails need 3.9MB of storage, while local emails need just 988KB. However the
akonadi directory amounts to 1.3GB of data:

$ du -h -d 0 .local/share/akonadi*|sort -r -h
1.3G    .local/share/akonadi
3.9M    .local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_1
988K    .local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0
12K     .local/share/akonadi_migration_agent

"The Akonadi server and the underlying database is a common interface to your
(PIM-alike) data for different applications, so those applications do not have
to deal with the data files directly.
[...]
The akonadi database is a cache towards your data. Common, frequently accessed
parts (like e-mail headers) are stored in the database. These are usually
stored permanently and kept in sync with your original data source (IMAP
folders, mails on the local disc)." [1]

You can say I'm old fashioned, but it puzzles me that 1.3 GB are needed for
caching.

"These [frequently or infrequently accessed] parts are from time to time
cleaned up from the cache, if they were not used for a certain period of time.
Technically it is possible to configure when the cache is cleaned or if it is
cleaned at all, but the regular user should not have to deal with it." [1]

The question now is: how do I configure cache behaviour in akonadi?

[1] https://blogs.kde.org/node/4503
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁    Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose.