Reducing .local/share/akonadi

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Jul 19 22:59:08 BST 2017

Hello.

solitone - 19.07.17, 15:23:
> I use kmail to access three IMAP accounts, one POP3 account, and a local
> folder.
>
> Since my .local/share/akonadi folder is pretty big (1.3 GB):
>
> $ du -h -d 1 .local/share/akonadi
> 401M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
> 497M    .local/share/akonadi/search_db
> 377M    .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
> 4.0K    .local/share/akonadi/db_misc
> 1.3G    .local/share/akonadi
>
> I was wondering whether there is a way to clear up some space.
>
> For instance, what's the purpose of the search_db directory?

The ways of cleaning up .local/share/akonadi folder have been discussed before
here on this list several times.

Short recap/summary:

- akonadictl fsck: Can move unused/leaked files to file_lost+found. You can
remove that lost+found directory afterwards. Recent enough versions of Akonadi
should not leak files in there anymore.

- akonadictl vacuum: Compresses databases table files. You need minimum
freespace of at least twice of the largest table, as it basically rewrites the
table files.

search_db is fulltext indexing. It is supposed to be possible to switch it off
for certain folders… yet exactly that currently doesn´t work or isn´t even
fully implemented. At least unless some developer implemented it recently.
KMail has that option, but it has no effect.

1.3 GiB is not very much. Actually its really rather small. My private mail
accounts:

martin at merkaba:~> du -h -d 1 .local/share/akonadi | sort -rh
12G     .local/share/akonadi
7,9G    .local/share/akonadi/search_db
3,8G    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
123M    .local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found
68M     .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
0       .local/share/akonadi/db_misc

Whoa… thats crazy. I wasn´t aware that it is this high meanwhile. I really
would like to disable mail indexing for certain free software mailinglist
folders. At least I recovered 123M by removing file_lost+found. But well its
still not as large as the original data:

martin at merkaba:~> du -sh .local/share/local-mail
28G     .local/share/local-mail
martin at merkaba:~> find .local/share/local-mail -type f | wc -l
2510763

Thanks,
--
Martin