Kmail searching issues

solitone solitone at mail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:13:03 GMT 2017

I also have problems with search in KMail. It's a clean installation from
debian stretch packages.

On Friday, 24 February 2017 11:40:44 CET Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> First, make sure you have all latest packages of KMail, Akonadi and all
> other PIM applications you use.

KMail version 5.2.3.

solitone at alan:~$ akonadictl -v
Akonadi 5.2.2

solitone at alan:~$ apt-cache policy kmail
kmail:
  Installed: 4:16.04.3-3
  Candidate: 4:16.04.3-3

solitone at alan:~$ apt-cache policy akonadi-server
akonadi-server:
  Installed: 4:16.04.3-4
  Candidate: 4:16.04.3-4

> Also make sure your kdepim-runtime package
> is up to date (15.x.x or 16.x.x).

solitone at alan:~$ apt-cache policy kdepim-runtime
kdepim-runtime:
  Installed: 4:16.04.2-2
  Candidate: 4:16.04.2-2

> Also find which package provides the
> obsolete /usr/ bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer file and remove/upgrade that
> package - it will probably be called something like akonadi-baloo, while
> the new one you want is akonadi-search.

This doesn't apply to me.

And now the issue. The quick search textbox above the message list does work,
but it searches messages only in the folder that the list refers to, so in
some cases is not powerful enough.

In contrast, the search function that I get when I right click on a folder,
and select the "Find Messages..." menu entry, does not work. It doesn't work
when I select either "search in all folders", or "search only in..."
including/not including sub-folders, or "select specific folders". No result is
found, but I know there are matching emails. It doesn't seem to look for
anything, since it finishes almost immediately after clicking the search
button.

What do you suggest I check?

Thanks & Regards,
   Davide