[opensuse-factory] Re: "Retrieving Folders..." hang and a possible solution

ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 9 06:52:21 GMT 2017

On Thursday, 9 February 2017 07:41:01 GMT Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data giovedì 9 febbraio 2017 07:34:08 CET, Joshua J. Kugler ha scritto:
>
> (No need to CC me, I'm subscribed to kde-pim and -factory)
>
> > Just a quick note...please do not use Ubuntu version numbers, but use KDE
> > and KMail version numbers so we know which version you're referring to. :)
>
> KDE Applications releases use a month.year convention, so the next release
> (which KMail belongs to) will be 17.04.
>
> KMail has also its own versioning, but the bundle version is easier to
> remember.
>
> FTR: the innodb buffer pool size change was committed to master, so 17.04
> will have that change too.

The problem has eased for me with the buffer pool update but it still fails
particularly when trying to open new unread emails.
The only way i've found around it is:-
1. config kmail to open the oldest email in the folder so it does not land on
an unread email
2. View the folder list to find the unread emails (without touching any emails
in the message list) and try to remember the unreads
 3. Mark them all read by right clicking on the folder name
4. Search out the expanded threads before trying to open any new emails.

This works most of the time.
There are a couple of other issues with kmail 5.4.1 where the column headers
for the message list never stay adjusted and sometimes the kmail configuration
is missing parts like destination folders in filters and which folder to open
when loading (you close it down and reload and then they reappear)

Regards

Ian

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170206