Privacy warning: According to Panopticlick 3.0 Akregator does not block trackers effectively

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:55:33 GMT 2017

On Wednesday December 06 2017 13:23:01 James Cain wrote:

> In this day and age, expecting a file manager or RSS reader to also be a
> full-fledged web browser is a bit ambitious anyway, unlike 10 years ago
> when the web was mainly basic HTML. Not to mention the prolific use of

That's one way of looking at it. I'm not convinced this is the actual expectation, I guess it's more "we need a more capable rich-text renderer than QTextBrowser and Qt gave us a Chrome-in-a-library solution that can handle anything we throw at it so man up already (and buy more RAM if needed)". That comes mostly from discussing the needs for documentation viewers, but it was confirmed the other day talking to a PIM maintainer (about akonadi-contacts depending on QtWebEngine...).

Anyway, my gripe is mostly with resource usage and hardly about security/privacy issues, so I'll let you guys get back to that.