Privacy warning: According to Panopticlick 3.0 Akregator does not block trackers effectively

James Cain james.cain.25 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:23:01 GMT 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de>
wrote:

> Hi James.
>
> You only replied to me personally. Was this your intention?

​It was not - sorry about that. Upon sending I also fired up akregator and
realized you will get a preview HTML instance anyway. Maybe the default
function of akregator (and konqueror as well?) would be to offer-up text
only summaries or views anyway? A new button could be added somewhere on
the respective GUIs to see the article in full, as intended by the
respective site(s).

In this day and age, expecting a file manager or RSS reader to also be a
full-fledged web browser is a bit ambitious anyway, unlike 10 years ago
when the web was mainly basic HTML. Not to mention the prolific use of
things like ad-blockers, no-script scripts, and password managers. By
stripping and showing only the text, or text of the 1st paragraph, say, we
could solve the problem in a way that likely is intuitive and
understandable to users.

> This would probably be best added as a suggestion to my upstream bug
report.

Noted - I will take a look at the bug reports. My guess is, however, that
it might be best to make a new bug report recommending some type of change
for the sake of User's privacy and security, citing your bug reports as a
reason, as well as perhaps just being a better long-term solution to this
and future problems. Comments welcome if I am totally off-base here.

Thanks and take care.

- James