KMail is driving me mad!

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 28 20:37:59 BST 2017

On Monday 28 August 2017 20:17:44 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday August 28 2017 19:25:07 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >I also ran into this issue. I used to use Ctrl+A Shift+Delete to
> >clear my spam folder after selecting it with the mouse. Apparently,
> >the folder
>
> I hope you didn't discover it after you deleted all your folders ...

Luckily, this didn't happen. I didn't dare to try whether it could have
happened.

> >list now gets keyboard focus and grabs Ctrl+A to select all folders.
> >To select all spam messages I have to click on one of the spam
> >messages (which switches the keyboard focus to the message list).
> >Only then can I do Ctrl+A Shift+Delete. Very annoying!
>
> On a related note: is there a shortcut to move the focus between the
> message list and the folder list? I think I sometimes manage to do
> that in 4.1x but I've never been able to repeat it at will.

Not sure. In KMail 4.14.10 (which I'm currently using) one can move the
focus with the Tab key, but it's not really clear where the focus is
after pressing Tab several times.

In the past, one of the design principles of KMail was that it was
focusless. Each keyboard shortcut had exactly one result regardless of
what the user had done before (selected a folder, deleted a message,
selected some text in an email). Unfortunately, this design principle
has been lost over time.