KMail is driving me mad!

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Mon Aug 28 10:12:35 BST 2017

Hello list,

First, my keyboard shortcut to start KMail has been reassigned behind my
back so that it just opens a new message box, instead of starting KMail.
I've had to delete the shortcut and assign it again (to the same value).

Next, the old problem of duplicates has come back with a vengeance. Not only
do I get duplicates, I now also get messages resurrected that I deleted
hours or days ago (and emptied the waste bin, and rebooted). The same ones,
over and again.

Third, the number of unread messages is often wrong. This morning my inbox
was shown as having two unread messages, when I'd already read or moved them
all.

Fourth, the way I fixed that was to archive the inbox, delete all its
messages and import the archive. When I moved the messages back into place,
the numbers showed one getting left behind, but there was no trace of it, in
either folder.

Fifth, the behaviour of Ctrl-A has changed. It used to select all the
messages in the message list. Now I can't get it to do that at all; it
selects either the whole of the current message or the whole list of
folders, depending on what I clicked last. I've checked the assignment and
it's correct. I can't override it to the same value, because it then wants
to assign a null value to the default, which is what I'm trying to
reinforce. I backed out, not wishing to start an infinite recursion.

That's all I can think of at the moment. This is not a relaxing way to start
the day...

One redeeming feature: I can now type "colour" and it's recognised. I don't
know what's changed, but I didn't do it.

Peter.