Upgrade woes

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 10:37:49 BST 2017

On Friday August 25 2017 10:23:30 Peter Humphrey wrote:

>Two fine-tuning aspects are important to me but have gone missing. First, I
>can't choose the font of the folder list, so it wastes space and now needs a
>vertical scroll bar. Second, I also can't choose the font of unread messages
>in the message list, which insists on being bigger than the read ones, in
>spite of my setting classic standard mailing list aggregation.

Did you see the thread about "modernising" Kontakt? If not: https://phabricator.kde.org/T6854

I agree, those lists should at least have an option to fine-tune font attributes (size, weight, slant/oblique/italic and colour). If you go there it shouldn't be a big step simply to make the entire font configurable.

I've seen suggestions how things have finally gotten to be stable in these lists and how reintroducing font customisation might break that again. IMHO that's an insult to Qt (presuming the KMail doesn't contain any hardcoded assumptions about font details).

>Moreover, all my layout and config options had got lost and I had to set
>them up again. That's when I found the restrictions that have been imposed
>on font selection.

Sadly that's hardly surprising. Very few code (applications) that provide(s) customisation bothers too much with preserving the settings for users who actually use the feature. I've always told myself that must be because someone things the developers don't have the right to use their own code or at least not with non-default settings ...