Encrypt some emails

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:07:20 BST 2016

On Monday, October 24, 2016 06:06:15 PM Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hi Werner,
>
> Am Montag, 24. Oktober 2016, 17:52:40 CEST schrieb Werner Joss:
> > Am Montag, 24. Oktober 2016, 11:40:27 schrieb Michael Mol:
> > > So you want to take a message that exists in an IMAP folder, encrypt the
> > > body,  and replace the existing message?
> > >
> > > I don't know if any existing tools that will do that for you
> >
> > same here :)
> > but, I also have sometimes the intension of encrypting some existing
> > emails. usually I collect them in a folder and export that via kmail's
> > export feature to a tar.bz2 file which is then encrypted with kgpg.
> > then I delete the mails in the kmail folder.
> > if needed, I can always decrypt the file and re-import it,
> > or just browse the unpacked files.
> >
> > not exactly intuitive, some steps required, but I can live with that,
> > given
> > this ist not a day-to-day need.
>
> That can be a good way. I'll test it out.
> Thanks :-)

This is why I asked what your goal was. What *may* be a good solution would be
to ditch IMAP and go with POP; move the emails to your local system, which
presumably uses an encrypted filesystem. Or use POP to feed a protected server
that you run, and run an IMAP server on top of that. Not knowing what your
threat model is, I don't know what to suggest...

--
:wq