Akonadi dsaster

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:38:09 BST 2016

On Friday October 14 2016 09:03:29 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

>This comes from the "Baloo file extractor" AFAIK, which now uses LMDB/SQLite.
>Historically Akonadi Search uses ~/.local/share/baloo, and so it's likely that
>some generic Xapian DB lookup code in our Search code finds it and complains
>that it's not a Xapian DB.
>
>If you use the Baloo file extractor the I think you should not remove that,
>otherise you can remove it.

It being the .local/share/baloo directory?

>I would like to see some sort of a self-balancing configuration, where the
>database could "suggest" optimal settings based on long-time load and
>available hardware resources. That would magically solve the issue described
>above, but that's more of a day-dreaming :-)

Not necessarily. As you say, there are 2 population groups who could complain about the default settings, and one of those is likely to be perfectly capable of following tuning instructions.
So, if you can write an algorithm that keeps track of actual usage and then provide sensible settings from that, those power users can edit their .cnf file to copy the tuned values.

It would be just as possible to do this through the akonadi bootstrap routine; you probably already have a .cnf template somewhere, in which you could easily replace certain hardcoded default values with a token that gets replaced by a tuned value. Personally I'd want to be really sure that those tuned values are sensible though, before allowing automatic hacking of my configuration file (which might contain other tweaks of my own).

> It's true that the indexer currently ignores the NoIndexing attribute.
> That's bug and should be fixed.

Recent regression or long-standing bug (since 4.1x)?

> Akonadi Search is based on the old Xapian-based Baloo, which had a good
> error handling.

Side-ways related: does email search/indexing still work on platforms where Baloo itself no longer works (AFAIK anything other than Linux)?
I already see a reduced functionality in email search (presumably rather in the indexing) in KDE PIM 4.13 and 4.14 on OS X w.r.t. Linux, and 4.1x Baloo still works as intended otherwise on OS X. It'd be a pity not to have any search functionality - if KDE PIM 5 has the objective of being cross-platform of course.

R.