Akonadi disaster

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Oct 8 09:49:18 BST 2016

No need to Cc me.

Am Freitag, 7. Oktober 2016, 16:16:39 CEST schrieben Sie:
> Quoting Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de>:

You didn´t quote me, but:

> I left mail for claws a few years ago and immediately got a nice small
> fast MUA, a lot like what kmail once was. It has its own flaws but
> it's fast and doesn't waste my time. For example it will thread a
> mailbox with 40k mails on a very indifferent processor in about 2
> seconds. I know ymmv but that's been my experience.

I am happy that Claws works for you. For an IMAP client also Trojitá may be a
good choice. I intend to stick with KMail + Akonadi, cause it works good
enough for me – and migrating my insane setup POP 3 + more than 100 filters +
more than 100 folders + more than I think 2000000 mails would be… quite some
time-consuming work.

Threading code in KMail is slow granted. But initial folder display for about
40000 mails is similarily fast. Okay, a bit slower. I just tested, debian-qt-
kde-ml folder with 43700 mails: Is about 5 seconds till I see the mails. On
first attempt to access it. On second it is instant. And I mean it. First mails
display immediately, as threading is done once again.

Threading takes at least 15 seconds. Also on the second time accessing it :(

And all of this already sped up big time in last KMail + Akonadi versions.
Threading still ongoing. Plan of developers is to put threading into Akonadi
so that it will 1) do it in the background 2) remember what it did. Which in
theory at least could lead to almost instant displaying of a folder of that
size.

Thanks,

On this ThinkPad T520 with dual SSD BTRFS RAID 1 – so granted a quite speedy
setup:

martin at merkaba:~> phoronix-test-suite system-info

Phoronix Test Suite v5.2.1
System Information

Hardware:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M @ 3.20GHz (4 Cores), Motherboard: LENOVO
42433WG, Chipset: Intel 2nd Generation Core Family DRAM, Memory: 16384MB,
Disk: 300GB INTEL SSDSA2CW30 + 480GB Crucial_CT480M50, Graphics: Intel 2nd
Generation Core Family IGP, Audio: Conexant CX20590, Network: Intel 82579LM
Gigabit Connection + Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

Software:
OS: Debian unstable, Kernel: 4.8.0-tp520-btrfstrim+ (x86_64), Desktop: KDE
Frameworks 5, Display Server: X Server 1.18.4, Display Driver: modesetting
1.18.4, OpenGL: 3.3 Mesa 12.0.3, Compiler: GCC 6.2.0 20160927, File-System:
btrfs, Screen Resolution: 3840x1080

Thanks,
--
Martin