Akonadi dsaster

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:53:53 BST 2016

On 10/05/16 10:35, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Wednesday October 05 2016 09:55:34 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
>
>> There is a known issue with latest version of Xapian being crap and causing
>> crashes [0], unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that. You can
>
> So this hypothesis from the bug report can be falsified?
> "it looks like my problem is somehow related to akonadi/kmail producing and not coping with invalid xapian searches."
>
> I see that baloo also uses xapian, and in the DebUntu universe it is AFAIK used in the packaging system. If this is really about Xapian being crap in and by itself one would expect it to crash across the board. If it only crashes when used from akonadi there must be something about the way akonadi uses it that is problematic.
>
> Either way there is something you can do about it: include a known-to-work version (build as a static lib for instance) and build against that by default if a known-not-to-work version is detected.

This is kind of why I finally lost me temper: I an an IT guy OK but to
to be advised to buuld or downgrade or so on aint exactly what any shall
we say a normal user expect?

There is a reason my wife and kids use good ole boring Thunderbird (as
do I in writing this). It works.

Since upgrading to Plasma5 I have have ghost emails all over, constant
redownloading of what is the recommended solution (IMAP) and I don't
know what. I have to resort to webmail to actually do my job.

Btw contacts search died again

Can we just get rid of Akonadi, Xapian, MySql and so on and have plain
simple maildir/mobox.

I know absolutely noone that search for mails outside their mail app, be
it Outlook or whatever.