Difficulties to use Kontact via WIFI from "Flixbus" and similar servers

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:12:13 GMT 2016

Hello Everybody.

At present, I am using Kubuntu 14.04 along with KDE 4.13.3 at an Asus Eee PC
1025 C - a 32 bits laptop.

Ever since several months I am getting error reports like this one below when
using certain public WIFI networks - like the one from "Flixbus":

The server for account "infofocalisers at gmail.com" refused the supplied
username and password. Do you want to go to the settings, have another
attempt at logging in, or do nothing?

Login failed, server replied: A000004 NO Please log in via your web browser:
https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 ( Failure ) [ ALERT  ]

>From Google, I get in such situation messages that it blocks the log-in attempts;
they think that it might be some else who has my password. So, every time,
when I get such a message, I indicate to them that it was really me who tried do
log in at such a moment.

When examining the problem more carefully, it becomes clear to me that it still
is possible to SEND mails via Kontact and the smtp server of Gmail at such a
public WIFI network. Also this mail is being sent via Kontact. However, retrieving
new e-mail is only possible via my browser  - not  via Kontact.

Do some amongst you have any clue how to deal with this problem? Is there any
"workaround"?

I already have allowed each gmail address I use to work with "less secure apps".
However, the problem  to retrieve mails via public servers like "Flixbus" (and
several others) persists.

Yours.

Bas

--